Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Meatloaf (even my son will eat)




I have the pickiest eater in my 2 year old son. He doesn't eat any fruit or vegetables, save the occasional piece of peeled apple, tomato sauce on spaghetti, or whatever juice is in a freezie. He only eats sausages, or chicken if it's mashed up with whatever else is on his plate, or we can sneak by his picky little palette.

When I told him the meatloaf was just a big sausage, he ate it without complaint, even saying it was a really yummy sausage and finishing his entire serving. I think from today onwards, everything will be just an odd-shaped "sausage". Now, if only there was a way to get more vegetables in his diet.

This meatloaf is pretty simple, made with ingredients I am sure you have in your pantries, or have really easy access to. Trust me, I didn't go out of my way to purchase anything fancy.
I like to wrap my meatloaf in foil, like a big sausage, I get a bit tired of the loaf pan look. Just remember to spary the inside of the foil with cooking spray (or a light brush of vegetable oil will work too) and wrap tightly. I also cook my meatloaf on a parchment lined pan and the only reason is to make clean-up easier. You can do it without and still get the same results.
To be honest, I haven't left my house in three days because it is just too hot to go out. Then my husband suggested he cook dinner, and I had to get that idea out of his head ASAP. I adore that he wants to cook, but I want to eat, and sometimes those two ideas don't exactly mesh!

Meatloaf
Makes 4-6 serves

2 tablespoosn vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 slice bread
3 tablespoons milk
1 lb ground beef (lean or medium)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt, extra
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 sun dried tomatoes, chopped (if packed in oil, drain well)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 - 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350F.
In a small frying pan, heat oil and cook onion with garlic and 1 teaspoon salt until softened and just beginning to colour. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, place slice of bread on deep plate and pour over milk. Leave to absorb.
Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl, adding cooled onion mixture and milk soaked bread. Mix well with your hands.
Form into log shape (see photos) and wrap in aluminum foil. Place on baking sheet and cook for 40-45 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches a minimum of 160F (see Health Canada website for more info).
Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before unwrapping and slicing.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment