Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Mug of Chili


There's a chill in the air, and by chill, I mean the temperature was -29C. OK, so I exaggerate, the actual temperature was -18C, but there was a windchill of -29C. I like to use the extremes. It makes me feel good that I have survived the deep freeze of winter. Back home, in Australia, we can't even imagine a temperature like this exists, let alone live in it.
My brother is planning a visit in March, so I sent him an email with the news of how cold it was, just to scare him. I can't wait to see his response.
In honour of this absolutely freezing day, I made chili in my slow cooker. One of my New Years resolutions was to use my slow cooker more, and while browsing the bookstore, I came across a magazine-book* called Slow Cooker Revolution by  America's Test Kitchen (who I love and trust because everything always works). I also think that slow cooking does need a revolution. Perhaps the reason I haven't made much in my slow cookers is because of horrible first time results.
I have toned down their recipe for Three-Alarm Beef Chili, it's way too spicy for me. Here is my version, based on theirs.

Chilly Day Chili
Makes a lot more than the 4 serves they say, maybe serves 6-8.

2 slices light rye bread
2 tablespoons milk
1 pound lean ground beef
salt & pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, minced
1 teaspoon chili sambal (just crushed chili and salt from Chinatown or Loblaws)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chili (you can add more if you like it hotter)

Mash bread and milk into paste in large bowl using fork. Mix in ground beef, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper using hands.
Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, chili sambal, chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
Stir in beef mixture and cook, breaking up any large pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
Stir diced tomatoes with juice, beans, soy sauce, sugar and chipotle chili into slow cooker. Cover and cook until beef is tender, 6-8 hours on low or 3-5 hours on high.
Let chili settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Break up any remaining large pieces of beef with spoon. Season with salt, hot sauce and additional chipotles to taste, and serve.

Enjoy! 


*What do you call those cookbooks in the magazine rack? Who knows? Do I even need another cookbook? Probably not, but I do like looking at all the pictures and dreaming of the things I could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment