Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Creamy Creamed Corn


I know it's an odd thing to say, but ever since last summer when fresh corn was in abundance, I have had a hankering for some good creamed corn. By the time I got around to it last summer, the local corn was all gone and I didn't think it appropriate to use frozen kernels. So, a whole 12 months later, here I am gorging on creamy and sweet and absolutely delectable creamed corn. The corn kernels are so tender (I used local Ontario (Canadian) corn ) they just pop in your mouth. And, I would have to mention this recipe is designed to serve 8-10 people, but my husband and I managed to eat half of it last night. We just kept going back for one more scoop. Kind of like ice cream.

I came across a million recipes while looking for the perfect one, and I basically used this recipe from the Food Network, and added some red pepper and parsley. You could definitely leave out those two ingredients and still end up with a wonderful dish. For some reason, I thought a bowl of "yellow" might not look so great in a picture.

I also thought, that some red pepper, minced jalapeno, coriander and maybe some cheese in here and you would have another wonderful take. Might have to try that one later in the week and see how it turns out.

Creamy Creamed Corn
Makes 8-10 serves

1/2 onion, diced
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ears fresh corn
1 red pepper, diced
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1 cup whipping cream
fresh ground pepper
fresh chopped parsley, to sprinkle

In a saucepan over medium heat, sweat the onion in butter and salt until translucent.

On a large rimmed baking sheet, resting the cob on the sheet in a vertical position, remove the kernels with a knife, using long downward strokes and rotating the cob as you go. After the cob has been stripped, use the dull back side of the knife to scrape any remaining pulp and milk off the cob.

Add the corn and pulp mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium high until the juice from the corn has thickened. Add the rosemary. Sprinkle the corn with the sugar and turmeric. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the cornmeal onto the corn, and stir to combine well. Add the heavy cream and cook until the corn has softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the rosemary. Season with freshly ground black pepper.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment